Summer Wardrobe Staple: Straw Bag
Hello, almost Indian Summer — arguably, my favorite part of the Summer Season as the weather finally mellows out but the evenings are still warm.
You can continue to wear your Summer pieces, but may need a little jacket for the chillier nights, and it’s the absolute best time to do those things on your Summer bucket list you haven’t checked off yet – like a beach sunset or a cruise around the Hudson (or whatever river you have by you). It’s also the best time to stock up on your next Summer-must have — straw bag.
Every Season, I’m seeing straw coming back stronger and stronger, so I think it’s safe to say that it’s here to stay (didn’t mean to rhyme that!) I think a great straw bag is the best Summer accessory – and it also doesn’t have to break the bank either to be chic.
This Season, all my favorite stores stocked up a variety of options – from large beach totes to small clutches, and I’ve been featuring some of my favorites – like the Ulla Johnson one in this post.
For this look, I styled the Anthropologie Amalia Half-Moon Clutch with my other favorite Summer staple I mentioned in one of my earlier outfit posts – the Romper.
The exact ingredients of this look are:
- The Flirty Romper. This one is my Bella Dahl, and is cute and flirty for daytime or a night out. The stripes make it more fun, and the ruffly front speaks to my (and your) feminine side without being overly girly.
- A Straw Bag. I’ve curated a selection of different options below, from large to small – and while they are technically mostly associated with Summer, they can actually transition pretty well into Fall as they pack tons of texture – which goes well with knitted sweaters/leggings/boots. Choosing a bag in a darker straw color with a more intricate design can be a great Fall go-to.
- A Pair of Heels. While flats are definitely my #momlife default these days, I’m always reminded about how much more polished and poised I feel when putting on a pair of heels. I love these patent leather peep-toe ones by Vince Camuto, the salmon-y color goes with everything. I like to suggest “salmon pink” as a neutral to my clients as it takes them out of only relying on black and nude as their versatile choices.
- A White Denim Jacket. Yet another Summer must-have, while it may not get as much wear during the prime of the Season as the weather may not require an extra layer, it’s perfect for that River Cruise/chillier night out in late August/early September (especially if you don’t abide by the “No White After Labor Day” fashion “rules”)
- A Silk Scarf. As promised, I’m showing you another way to wear the beautiful Kingston Jewellery Frida scarf. It spices up the straw bag, making it stand out beyond its already unique design.
I hope this inspires you to continue wearing your straw into early Fall, and maybe stock up on some new pieces for next Summer! Please feel free to share the outfits you create via Instagram, using hashtag #ModnitsaOutfit in your posts, and I’ll be sure repost them on my stories!
Photography by Leslie Moncada