Living The Romper Life
And just like that, we’re in mid July! Summer is in the midst of its heat, and most days I find myself reluctant to stick my head outside (even though I still do it as life with a 15-month old requires you to). Because of the higher temps and humidity, I’ve been relying on a Summer essential clothing item to survive – a romper. I love that it’s an outfit in itself, all you need to do is put on some shoes and grab a cute Summer bag (straw is really in now!) and if you feel like it, add a few accessories – like a hat and sunnies, and you have yourself a put-together, yet effortless look.
I’ve been shopping some of my favorite retailers – like Anthropologie and Revolve.com, scouring them for romper options, and have rounded up some of my best recommendations below. For this post, I’ve also styled a recent Sample Sale find by Yumi Kim – in 2 ways: one for the beach/park, and one for a Summer Date Night.
The ingredients of these looks are:
- The Romper. My mom found this one for me at a recent Yumi Kim Sample Sale – it’s short, silky and has a fun sleeve and peek-through tie in the front. It’s perfect for Summer in its length and unique details.
- A Pair of Cute Flip-Flops. These Sand by Saya Watermelon Wedges are stylish AND comfortable. They also pack a lot more back support than your average pair of flip-flops, and are a great option for the beach and for hot Summer days around the city.
- A Straw Fedora. Sun-shade + sun-chic. This adjustable one is from Banana Republic.
- A Straw Bag. Straw is a huge trend again this year – and this Ulla Johnson Pomme Bag is the cutest accessory. I love how unique the shape is (and it fits only the essentials, which is an excuse to leave the extras at home and travel light). You can pack the rest of your beach gear into an oversized straw carryall like this one.
To take this look to evening, you will need the following ingredient additions/swaps:
- A Structured White Linen Blazer. It will immediately polish off the look, especially if you choose one with a stand collar. The white color and linen are the epitome of Summer. This one is from J.Crew from a few seasons ago, but I found a few similar styles – see below.
- A Pair of Neutral Heels. To continue your leg line, choosing a pair or nude or golden heels will help the look feel fresh and Season-appropriate. I’ve had this pair of Manolos in my wardrobe forever – and they always come to the rescue when I need a little touch of gold to finish my look.
I’m also a huge fan of rompers as they pack really easily into your suitcase, taking up practically no space – and can create a variety of looks if you throw a jean jacket/sweater/chambray top on them, even to turn them into shorts when covering up the top. As you can tell from the pics, they also nicely tread the line between fun and Summer-y and sexy and date-night-appropriate.
I hope this inspires you to add some rompers to your Summer wardrobe! Please feel free to share the outfits you create via Instagram, using hashtag #ModnitsaOutfit in your posts, and I’ll be sure repost them on my stories!
Photography by Leslie Moncada