Summer Kimono Look
Hope your (unofficial) Summers are off to a great start with tons of fun in the park/beach, outdoor bbq’s and whatever other activities you love!
This past weekend we had fantastic weather in NYC (very unlike today) – sunny during the day, and a touch chillier at night, making it necessary to have another layer, like a jean jacket, a light-knit sweater, or – Summer’s hottest item – a Kimono.
I think a Kimono layering piece is a Seasonal staple. It’s lightweight, it provides another detail in your outfit (and can sometimes even be that additional hemline you need to break up the outfit proportionally). It’s also super fun, usually colorful and chic – and can be appropriate both at the beach as a cover-up, during the day AND as a going-out piece to dress up a pair of white jeans and top.
There are so many options out there to choose from right now – I got the one featured in this look from one of my favorite stores – Anthropologie, and also curated a few other fabulous pieces from them (see below) that will make great seasonal additions to your wardrobe.
I am sharing a great mom-style look that you can put together with a Kimono for daytime. It’s perfect for errand-running, lunching or a casual Summer Friday.
The ingredients to this look are:
- A basic white tee. The Whisper Cotton tee featured is from Madewell — they make very comfortable tees – and I like both their v-neck and scoop-neck designs. For Summer, I like to stock up on multiples in white, gray and shades of blue as they go with everything and are lightweight and great quality.
- A pair of denim shorts. These Rag & Bone Maya High-Rise Shorts have a unique zipper detail on the sides – which is functional and FUN. I prefer a high-rise in my denim – especially since becoming a mom- as it’s more comfortable and makes tucking in – whether just a “french”(front) tuck or full tuck easier since it helps define your waist.
- Mules or loafer slides. This pair by Jeffrey Campbell is a few years old, but I’ve curated a few similar version below, ranging from high-end Gucci designs to Sam Edelman reasonably-priced ones. They are easy to, well, slide into – and look classy yet relaxed at the same time.
- Fun yet simple earrings. This pair of Kingston Jewellery Studs is the perfect addition to the look – it mimics the colors of the Kimono, and seems like a touch of paint splatter in an artistic outfit.
- Summer-y handbag. This Chloe Marcie Handbag was an amazing find at Saks Off Fifth (almost 50% off!) – and this color adds a touch of brightness to the outfit.
- The Kimono itself. I chose this Dylan Floral Cocoon style from Anthro — it has an ideal length which has just enough coverage but is not overwhelming on the body. I look forward to wearing it with my bathing suit on the beach as well on our upcoming vacation!
I hope this inspires you to try the Kimono trend in some of your Summer looks! Please feel free to share the outfits you create via Instagram, using hashtag #ModnitsaOutfit in your posts, and I’ll be sure repost them on my stories!
Photography by Leslie Moncada