Sex and the City Inspired Look for NYC Holidays
I honestly cannot believe it’s been almost 24 years since the first episode of Sex and the City aired on HBO. That show meant a lot to me growing up in NYC – as I related so easily to Carrie and her life – her dating triumphs and downfalls, her creativity, her independence and her fashion sense. I loved watching her friendships, the beautiful city I call home, and all the evolving style developments for the characters. I think the show is iconic in so many ways and even though it saddens me to see the characters grow old in the new HBO Max Mini Series “And Just Like that” – it’s truly an ode to life, and how it keeps on going, taking it’s toll but also adding tons of beautiful invaluable experiences under our belts with all the people that enter and leave and with all the changes around us. I’m sure I’m among millions of others who are going to binge on the series that launches today!
For today’s look, I wanted to pay tribute to the show in the most Carrie-like way – with a holiday outfit that’s very NYC-girl-chic.
Here are the exact ingredients to this outfit formula, and how I styled it:
- Tulle Midi Skirt. I’ve had this Alexandra Greco Tulle Midi in my wardrobe for almost 10 years, and even though I’ve only worn it a few times (mostly for photo shoots or special occasions) I still love the way it makes me feel – even as an almost 40-year-old mom. I think it’s so classic *and classy* – chic, and timeless. I think I’ll never get rid of it so long as it fits! I found a few similar ones that you can shop below, and what I love most about this skirt is that it can be easily dressed down when paired with a graphic tee and denim or leather jacket, or dressed up with a bodysuit and feather bolero – like in this outfit.
- Sequin Bodysuit. I think bodysuits are really under-appreciated clothing items, I love the way they fit so well and create a seamless look and this Jacob Bodysuit by NBD is stunning and super comfortable! I tagged a few similar ones below as this one is almost sold out of sizes online!
- Feather Bolero. A chic and fancy bolero is a must-have for the holiday season. This one is by Bubish in a pretty wine color (sold out sadly) but I found a few other great options below!
- Retro Shades. Loving my new Garrett Leight Calabar Sunnies – the green lenses nicely contrast the wine color of the jacket and the rose-gold shimmer of the body suit.
- Classic Bag with a Pop of Color. This Saint Laurent Loulou Toy Matelasse Calfskin Envelope Crossbody Bag in “sunflower” yellow adds an unexpected burst of life to an otherwise pretty neutral look.
- Shearling Slides. Another unexpected twist in this look – I decided to forgo stilettos (which would be an obvious choice for an outfit like this) and leaned into my #momstyle aesthetic with my new pair of Coclico Gina Shearling Slides. If you’re following along on my instagram, you probably saw me gushing about them and watched the unboxing video I shared – I think they are some of the most comfortable and stylish shoes I own, and I cannot wait to style them with even more looks *coming soon*!
I hope this inspires you to try out a similar outfit this Holiday Season!
As always, please feel free to share the outfits you create via Instagram, using hashtag #ModnitsaOutfit in your posts, and I’ll be sure repost them on my stories!
Photography by Anna Vivare
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.