New Year, New Workout Look
I’ve never really been a gym person – even though I’ve had memberships to at least a half-dozen NYC workout facilities (and gave them my hard-earned money without really fully committing myself, guilty!)
I’m more of a workout-naturally-while-having-fun person – I love to walk, dance and move around without too much rigid exercise structure. I was a dancer since I was 7 years old, starting at a professional musical theatre in Russia, and dancing all through high-school when I came to NYC, but had to make a decision to stop when I began college as dance was all-consuming and time-consuming. I’ve since been really missing not only the excitement of performing (which has an amazing energy unlike anything else), but also the discipline of daily stretching and overall physical wellness. I’ve decided that this year is going to be the year I truly give it my effort to get back in control of feeling great – and will make time for it (even if it’s just a few minutes while Charlie naps).
Part of my plan is to start an online exercise program by Melissa Wood Health – which I’ve been seeing so much amazing feedback about all over instagram. For a small monthly subscription fee, she gives access to a multitude of workout and video options – most of which can be done without much equipment and don’t take very long (as short as 10 minutes). She also includes meditations, nutritional inspiration, etc. She’s a fellow mom, and I love watching how she balances wellness with motherhood and living in NYC – so check her out if you’ve never heard of her before. I’ve actually already started with a 7-day free plan – and enjoyed a few days of guided meditations to keep me grounded. The other part of the plan is to take at least 1 workout class a month (I know, not too rigorous – but hey, I need to start somewhere) – starting with Pilates.
And, like any true shopping/fashion addict, the first thing that I decided I needed to do to carry out my new plan was to update my workout wear 😉
Since having Charlie, I’ve done a stern review of my closet, and got rid of anything and everything that no longer fits, doesn’t make me happy and isn’t an immediate “love” – which included a lot of my workout wear, even Lululemons had to go as they no longer answered to the above. Which left me, with, well – nothing.
So I decided to re-motivate myself to exercise by choosing some cute new wears, and the best place to shop for any and all things athleisure is Carbon38.com. They carry an amazing array of brands – in varying categories, like the obvious ones, including sports bras and leggings, along with cute sweaters, scarves and even coats.
I’m sharing this look, which is equal parts comfortable and stylish, and mostly purchased from there!
The exact ingredients of this outfit formula are:
- The Coat. I typically leave the coat for last when describing look ingredients but in this case, I think it makes the outfit! I’ve shared my love for Apparis before – usually via their amazingly soft and luxurious (and affordable) faux fur coats; and this little puffer is also designed by them. I absolutely adore the print – it’s fun, yet somehow appears refined.
- The Leggings. Now going back to the basic outfit building blocks, these Beyond Yoga Spacedye Caught in the Midi High-Waisted Leggings could not be any softer and more comfortable. They’re 7/8 length – so for someone more petite like myself, they’re ideal. The color is fun yet neutral and dark enough to pair well with most other colors in your outerwear, shoes and tops.
- A Practical Bag. I’ve had a Longchamp Le Pliage Nylon Backpack as my best friend on the road since Charlie was born, it’s small yet mighty in how much it fits, and folds neatly for travel. It squeezes in all the mom-essentials (snacks, diapers, etc.) and still has room for my own. I’ve decided to refresh it recently, and got this olive color instead of the light pink one I’ve been carrying, and it works perfectly as a “workout-essentials” bag too!
- A Polished Sports Bra. I wanted something with both support and a pop of color, and this Cami Bra delivers on both. You can wear it alone, or under a tee.
- The Sneakers. I’ve been obsessed with these Vionic Joey Casual Sneakers since I got them last year. I’m not a sneaker gal, but these are so put together, and the color (mauve) is very feminine yet neutral. They’re made out of the softest nubuck, and are super lightweight. They are also designed with comfort in mind via footbed support and molded memory foam, so I would highly recommend them as a walking shoe for everyday errands, travel or walking to and from your exercise class.
I hope this inspires you to try out a similar look for your “New Year New You” workout outfits! Please feel free to share the outfits you create via Instagram, using hashtag #ModnitsaWorkout in your posts, and I’ll be sure repost them on my stories!
Photography by Leslie Moncada