How To Rock a Denim Romper in Your Late 30’s
How is it already mid July? I know, I start every post with wondering where the time is going – and I really do feel like this year is going extremely fast!
In today’s style post, I wanted to share some ideas on how to style a denim romper if you’re in your late 30’s or 40’s. I think a lot of denim overalls, rompers and jumpsuits can come across a little too youthful – but if chosen intentionally, bearing in mind a few key characteristics, they CAN definitely transcend age and appear age-appropriate, chic and stylish.
The 3 few key characteristics that I recommend looking for when you shop for one are below – which will help ensure the pieces you choose don’t feel too juvenile or dated.
- FABRIC. I prefer ones that come in a thicker denim; it always feels more structured and substantial.
- SILHOUETTE. the fitted styles feel more slick – so ones with waist definition and belting are great. Bonus points for details that further enhance an hourglass shape – like cute puff sleeves and slightly wider legs on the shorts.
- COLOR. the darker denim feels more dressy and less casual – so I recommend darker washes with minimal distress.
For today’s look, I chose my newest favorite piece – this Retrofete Phoebe Denim Puff Sleeve Romper. I love the shape, the details, the structured feel of the fabric and the color, which tick all the boxes on the 3 specifications above. The romper doesn’t feel juvenile, but rather classy and timeless.
Here are the exact ingredients to this outfit formula, and how I styled it:
- The Denim Romper. My favorite part of this romper is the belt, and I really like that the shorts aren’t super short and have a cute cuff. They are also a little wider around the leg – making them feel more sophisticated as they’re not super tight or uncomfortable. When something fits too tight it can cause you to fidget or pull at the fabric, and that projects less confidence – so the fit of the garment can have a lot to do with how age-appropriate and effortless it feels.
- A Mini Bag. This Chloe Mini Marcie in”Cashmere Grey” was featured in my last blog post – and I wanted to style it with a completely different look to show how much it changes its feel based on what you pair it with. In my last blog post, I was wearing it with a flowy dress, and it looked very feminine and relaxed; with this look, it looks more urban and edgy. Great investment piece!
- The Crown Flat Sandals. These Coclico Sandals were also featured in my previous blog post – as I wasn’t kidding when I said they are my favorite new shoes for Summer. Get ready to see many more looks with them as they really go with everything – and I love how comfortable they feel on. Also – the heel is so unique (rounded!) – and adds a little unexpected detail.
I hope this inspires you to try out a similar outfit this Summer! As always, please feel free to share the outfits you create via Instagram, using hashtag #ModnitsaOutfit in your posts, and I’ll be sure repost them on my stories!
Photography by Anna Vivare.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.